Monday, August 13, 2007

Wiring 1

Was feeling a little under the weather. I hope a dengue bearing mosquito is not to blame. Damn! I could feel I was not at my analytical best. But it was a neuro lecture, so a hightened sense of understanding was my default state. Could have been much better.

So the questions...

The lecture moved on. I was getting kind of desperate as it seemed the answers weren't on the menu. The lecture began with a recap session which seemed unusually long. Then the flow of the discussion kept getting led astray mostly due to certain over-enthusiatic individuals who seemed to get ahead of themselves. A pack I think I once certainly belonged to and one which I think I am transiting. Let the prof talk, you might lose out on some vital insight in your attempt to push/validate your ideas amidst the discourse. This is some sort of a policy that I have (unknowingly?) adopted these days. Wait and watch and pounce when you just have to, an almost compulsive act.

All in all kind of less than my expectations (greed?). But...

At the end along came an idea. A classification of memories was touched upon slightly. Motor memory and declarative memory. My face might have lit up. Yeah, just when I was gonna conclude a wasted lecture. "Functional memories". I felt reassured. I have not been reading useless stuff after all; amidst short naps on the D-block library couch.

I am glad I saw a thread. At the end of the lecture. So be it. Have been promised a talk on the developmental problem of the sense of smell in the next lecture by a seasoned and a highly motivated student. Also have been urged to do some home-work on how the smell problem was such a special problem before it was cracked by a certain Linda Buck. Will fit in the home-work thing tomm since kinda jobless these few days. At least until 21st when I get my time on the NMR machine again...

The sense-of-smell talk is going to be interesting in every way.

No comments: